Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

My employer has not lodged a tax return for me from2018

Highlighted

Views 951

Replies 4

Hi, I’m looking for some guidance for the following;
My ex employer has not lodged a tax return for me from 2018.
What legal steps can I take?
Thanks in advance for your help.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

Maybe there is some confusion of terminology. I am presuming you mean a payment summary, as the tax return lodgement is your responsiblity.

The ATO provide as page on Lost or Missing payment summaries.

I would first contact - if you have not already -  your former employer. You can also review your payslips, time-sheets and bank statements. Payslip would be helpful here, as they should/would show tax withheld.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Taxicorn

Replies 0

A tax return is lodged by yourself not your employee.

If you are talking about providing you with a Payment Summary (Group Certificate) then this can be obtained via myGov.

Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

Maybe there is some confusion of terminology. I am presuming you mean a payment summary, as the tax return lodgement is your responsiblity.

The ATO provide as page on Lost or Missing payment summaries.

I would first contact - if you have not already -  your former employer. You can also review your payslips, time-sheets and bank statements. Payslip would be helpful here, as they should/would show tax withheld.

Highlighted

Replies 1

Yes, sorry I meant payment summary.. My ex employer has not lodged a payment summary leaving me unable to lodge a tax return. Unfortunately to add.. is now not responding to me. Unsure what I can do?
Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Karlo,

Both @macfanboy and @JakeE have provided the correct information.

Even if you have not received the payment summary or income statement, if your employer has sent it to the ATO it will pre-fill in myGov.

If you cannot obtain the payment summary from your employer and it does not pre-fill, then you need to use the information that you do have available to estimate your gross income and tax withheld. You should keep a record of your calculations in case we ask you how you came to those figures.

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.