ATO Community

Non-Lodgment Advice

Ask a question

Views 228

Replies 3

I am 54 yo and, due to ill health, haven't been working for the last seven years. I am receiving Disability Support Pension. As I am not earning any other income, I haven't been lodging my tax returns since I stopped working. However, unbeknownst to me, my tax agent has been lodging the Non-Lodgement Advices on by behalf.

In November 2013, I withdrew a lump sum of $10,000 from my super, as I was struggling to pay my living and medical expenses. The super fund automatically withheld $2,150 as tax.

Unitl now, I wasn't aware that I could claim this tax back if I lodge a tax return. I want to submit a tax return now so I can get the money back. Can I do it even though a Non-Logment Advice has already been submited for that financial year (five years ago)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @mayjuly

Welcome to our Community!

The information @macfanboy has provided is correct. As you lodged the non-lodgment advice form five years ago, it's outside the timeframe to lodge an amendment but you can lodge an objection and request an extension of time. 

You can find more information on how to lode an objection and time limits on our website. If you have further questions about lodging an objection, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator. 

Thanks, JodieH. 

3 REPLIES 3

Taxicorn

Replies 2

Best to ring the ATO on 13 28 61 and explain your situation to them.

Normally you can only do amendments back 2 years from the date of lodgement but there may be grounds for an objection.

Replies 1

This is not an amendment though. The tax return hasn't been lodged, just the Non-Lodgment Advice.

Best answer

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @mayjuly

Welcome to our Community!

The information @macfanboy has provided is correct. As you lodged the non-lodgment advice form five years ago, it's outside the timeframe to lodge an amendment but you can lodge an objection and request an extension of time. 

You can find more information on how to lode an objection and time limits on our website. If you have further questions about lodging an objection, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator. 

Thanks, JodieH. 

Top Solution Authors