Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Overseas tax return - foreign spouse

Views 545

Replies 3

Hi! I have not worked in Australia for this 2019-2020 tax season as I have been living in Canada. I have a HECS debt so I need to report my worldwide income. I was back paid during this tax period from a job I worked in Australia in 2015 so I have to lodge a tax return as well as report my world wide income. 

It says I need to report my spouse's income too. I am currently being sponsored for Permanent  residency in Canada by a Canadian spouse. He has not worked in Australia but received income/student loans in Canada. I was just wondering on my tax return do I need to report my Canadian spouses income? And would I need to report his student loans (he does not pay tax on this money as he will be paying it back when he graduates school, this is not considered "income" in Canada). 

Thanks in advance!! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @IsabellaMB,

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

I’m hoping if I link you to this similar question/answer on ATO Community this will help you figure out what income, if any at all, needs to be reported for your Canadian partner.

Within that question above there is a link for Spouse Details in your tax return however that is for the 2018 financial year so here is the 2020 FY's instructions.

Also, just in case you were not aware, you will need to declare your back payments from 2015 within your 2020 tax return under 'Other income' as 'Lump sum payments in arrears'.

I hope this helps though if you still require further info please reply Smiley Happy

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @IsabellaMB,

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

I’m hoping if I link you to this similar question/answer on ATO Community this will help you figure out what income, if any at all, needs to be reported for your Canadian partner.

Within that question above there is a link for Spouse Details in your tax return however that is for the 2018 financial year so here is the 2020 FY's instructions.

Also, just in case you were not aware, you will need to declare your back payments from 2015 within your 2020 tax return under 'Other income' as 'Lump sum payments in arrears'.

I hope this helps though if you still require further info please reply Smiley Happy

Replies 1

Thank you for your message! I am confused because the question you linked says that I don't have to report his income but in the second link it says I need to report foreign income. If that is so I just need to know whether student loans and student grants are considered income in this context.

Thanks! 

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ IsabellaMB

Thanks for your question. In this scenario student loans and student grants are not considered income.

Thank you for contacting us and have a nice day!