ATO Community

Re: Part-Year Residency and Residency Status on Tax Return Summary

Ask a question

Views 168

Replies 1

Hi Team!

I am a part-year resident for tax purposes who arrived to live in Australia on 15/8/18. I have completed on-line my 2018-19 tax return, and from the View Tax Summary 2018-19 my status is treated as Non Australian resident for tax pusrposes. Is this because I was a part year resident, or I need to contact ATO to update my status? Previously I left Australia permanently, and at the end of previous financial year 2017-18 was a non-resident. But my circumstances changed and I returned to live in Australia on 15/8/18, so at the end of financial year 2018-19 I am resident for tax purposes.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @Irina,

Thanks for your question!

Your residency status is determined by the information you have provided on your last lodged tax return. If you have reviewed our residency tool and your 2018-19 tax return has been lodged correctly, then you do not need to contact us.

However, if you have determined that a mistake has been made on your tax return, then you will need to lodge an amendment in order to provide the correct information.

If you need any additional help with the amendment, you can contact us via live chat or phone.

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

TaxTime Support

Replies 0

Hi @Irina,

Thanks for your question!

Your residency status is determined by the information you have provided on your last lodged tax return. If you have reviewed our residency tool and your 2018-19 tax return has been lodged correctly, then you do not need to contact us.

However, if you have determined that a mistake has been made on your tax return, then you will need to lodge an amendment in order to provide the correct information.

If you need any additional help with the amendment, you can contact us via live chat or phone.

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.

Top Solution Authors