Announcements
Have a question about JobKeeper? Things are a little different this month so we’ve put together a summary of what businesses need to know.

ATO Community

Private arrangement childsupport payment

Views 487

Replies 1

Myself and expartner have a private child support arrangment  and will include gifts  as I am completing my tax return do I need to lodge the amount paid  for the year  in my tax return

As being a private arrangement.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Fishcat207

Parents can make private agreements about child support or they can apply to the Department of Human Services (Child Support) for an administrative assessment.

Child support received and gifts do not need to be included on an individual tax return. See Other amounts which are not taxable.

However, child support payments paid are recorded on your individual income tax return at the Income Tests section IT7 Child support.

These payments are included whether or not they are paid as part of a child support assessment or a private agreement.

The figure you put at IT7 contributes towards your "Adjusted taxable income".

Thanks for your question

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Fishcat207

Parents can make private agreements about child support or they can apply to the Department of Human Services (Child Support) for an administrative assessment.

Child support received and gifts do not need to be included on an individual tax return. See Other amounts which are not taxable.

However, child support payments paid are recorded on your individual income tax return at the Income Tests section IT7 Child support.

These payments are included whether or not they are paid as part of a child support assessment or a private agreement.

The figure you put at IT7 contributes towards your "Adjusted taxable income".

Thanks for your question