• 231 Online
  • 15598 Members
  • 18280 Posts

ATO Community

Public transport between work locations

Ask a question

This conversation has been closed. Please start a new thread.

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 211

Replies 1

My job occasionally requires me to travel between head office and client locations.
I almost always take public transportation. I only just found out that I may be able to claim this back. However, I don't have the Opal card that has most of my trips. Am I able to claim back our public transport through a "log book" type approach?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Pmotto,

Welcome to our Community!

If you travel from your normal workplace to an alternative workplace that's not a regular workplace, you may be able to claim the cost of travelling if:

• you incurred the expense yourself and you weren't reimbursed,
  • the travel directly related to you earning your income, and
  • you have a record to prove it.

If the claim is more than $300, you must have written evidence to prove your claim. Evidence can be in a written or electronic form and can be:

• bank and other financial institution statements
  • credit card statements
  • BPAY reference numbers, often called receipt or transaction numbers
  • email receipts
  • a PAYG payment summary-individual non business, for example, this may show the client's union fees
  • copies of documents must be a true and clear copy of the original document, or
  • evidence which has been recorded by the client for expenses of $10 each or less, providing the total of these amounts is not more than $200 or if they have been unable to obtain written evidence, for example toll or parking fees where clients cannot get a receipt.

If you have further questions about deductions you can claim or records you need to keep, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Pmotto,

Welcome to our Community!

If you travel from your normal workplace to an alternative workplace that's not a regular workplace, you may be able to claim the cost of travelling if:

• you incurred the expense yourself and you weren't reimbursed,
  • the travel directly related to you earning your income, and
  • you have a record to prove it.

If the claim is more than $300, you must have written evidence to prove your claim. Evidence can be in a written or electronic form and can be:

• bank and other financial institution statements
  • credit card statements
  • BPAY reference numbers, often called receipt or transaction numbers
  • email receipts
  • a PAYG payment summary-individual non business, for example, this may show the client's union fees
  • copies of documents must be a true and clear copy of the original document, or
  • evidence which has been recorded by the client for expenses of $10 each or less, providing the total of these amounts is not more than $200 or if they have been unable to obtain written evidence, for example toll or parking fees where clients cannot get a receipt.

If you have further questions about deductions you can claim or records you need to keep, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors