Announcements
On 7 August 2020 the government proposed further changes to the JobKeeper extension. For more information, visit the Treasury website.

ATO Community

Re: Tax Return

Highlighted

Views 367

Replies 1

Hi all,

I have got my permanent residency 10 months ago. I still do freelance jobs abroad and make money and come back to Australia. i didnt make any money in Australia meanwhile..

what is the right way i should follow to pay my tax. when am i supposed to do that? i have got no idea.

Thanks all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @stoneshaq,

Thanks for your question!

If you are classified as a resident for tax purposes, then your worldwide income must be reported on your tax return, including any foreign income, even if you have paid tax on it in the country where you earned it. You can have a look at the reporting requirements for Australian residents overseas here.

If you are deemed a foreign resident for tax purposes, then you may not need to lodge a tax return. Once you've worked out your residency status, you should check out our "Do I need to lodge" calculator for additional guidance.

If you are not required to lodge a tax return, make sure that you submit a non-lodgement advice from ATO Online Services.

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @stoneshaq,

Thanks for your question!

If you are classified as a resident for tax purposes, then your worldwide income must be reported on your tax return, including any foreign income, even if you have paid tax on it in the country where you earned it. You can have a look at the reporting requirements for Australian residents overseas here.

If you are deemed a foreign resident for tax purposes, then you may not need to lodge a tax return. Once you've worked out your residency status, you should check out our "Do I need to lodge" calculator for additional guidance.

If you are not required to lodge a tax return, make sure that you submit a non-lodgement advice from ATO Online Services.

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.