Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Tax liabilities issue

Views 113

Replies 3

I worked in Australia before and leave Australia in 2016, I am not sure I have submitted the final tax return or not. 

Until recently, I called the bank to close my bank account, but the banker told me I can't close my bank account as I have tax liability issue. So I don't have Australia number to register ATO account, any other way to check my tax statement? Can I check it by email to the officer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @olingirl,

If you don't have access to an Australian phone number to create an online myGov account and link your ATO online services, then the best option is to contact us directly by phone. We have an international phone number specifically for people calling us from overseas.

Unfortunately email correspondence isn't available, as we can't guarantee the security of emails due to the risk of interception through online channels. So it's part of our privacy policy to ensure your information is kept safe.

Please note that when you call, we'll need to confirm your identity to access your account. So it's a good idea to have your Australian tax file number (TFN), some identity documents available and information from your time in Australia to answer the questions we will likely ask.  

All the best,

RachATO

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @olingirl,

If you don't have access to an Australian phone number to create an online myGov account and link your ATO online services, then the best option is to contact us directly by phone. We have an international phone number specifically for people calling us from overseas.

Unfortunately email correspondence isn't available, as we can't guarantee the security of emails due to the risk of interception through online channels. So it's part of our privacy policy to ensure your information is kept safe.

Please note that when you call, we'll need to confirm your identity to access your account. So it's a good idea to have your Australian tax file number (TFN), some identity documents available and information from your time in Australia to answer the questions we will likely ask.  

All the best,

RachATO

Replies 1

Hi @RachATO 

Thanks for the reply. 

As I am not familiar with the tax matter, possible I authorise a friend to call to ATO office on my behalf? I can pass my identity documents to her. 

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @olingirl

You definitely can authorise someone to speak on your behalf.

To do this, though, you'll need to call us and confirm your identity yourself.

Once you confirm who you are, you can ask us to add the friend as an authorised contact, or just to talk to them for the call.

You can find how to contact us on our website.