Announcements
We're doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode every now and then while we do this. Don't worry! You'll still be able to search the site to find your answers

ATO Community

Visa 408 taxes After 18.200

Views 401

Replies 1

Hi, good evening.

I am currently on a covid 408 visa and working in critical sector, I am also considered as a resident after answering the questions on the ato website.

My question is how are the tax working after the first 18.200 I cannot find any reliable information about higher, is that like for the whv 15% until 37.000? And after?

Also I am not sure that I ticked the box Australian resident for tax purpose on my contract but my contractor doesn't seems to have my contract anymore, any way to check if I am considered as an Australian resident for tax purpose with this contract?

Thank you very much for your help,

Have a good evening,

Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @Nolan2209

If you are an Australian resident for tax purposes, any taxable income you earn above $18,200 will be taxed at the resident tax rates. The exception to this is working holiday makers (WHM), which are taxed at a separate rate, regardless of residency status.

When you completed your TFN declaration for your employer, you needed to select your residency status to ensure your employer withholds the correct amount of tax from your salary/wages. If you did not tick the right box, your employer may be withholding too much or too little tax, which can result in a debt or refund when you lodge your tax return. If you believe you made an error on your TFN declaration, you can correct this by providing a withholding declaration to your employer.

If you're unsure what residency status you selected on your original TFN declaration, you can contact us if your employer has lost records.

The links below may help:

All the best,

Tony

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @Nolan2209

If you are an Australian resident for tax purposes, any taxable income you earn above $18,200 will be taxed at the resident tax rates. The exception to this is working holiday makers (WHM), which are taxed at a separate rate, regardless of residency status.

When you completed your TFN declaration for your employer, you needed to select your residency status to ensure your employer withholds the correct amount of tax from your salary/wages. If you did not tick the right box, your employer may be withholding too much or too little tax, which can result in a debt or refund when you lodge your tax return. If you believe you made an error on your TFN declaration, you can correct this by providing a withholding declaration to your employer.

If you're unsure what residency status you selected on your original TFN declaration, you can contact us if your employer has lost records.

The links below may help:

All the best,

Tony