Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Volunteer work food for wild life carer

Enthusiast

Views 139

Replies 4

Asking for a friend who is a volunteer wild life carer in her home- she currently has 2 baby possums in cages underneath the house. She pays for the food and cleaning. Is she able to claim anything as a tax deduction? She also on occasion is called to pick up injured animals - uses her own car for this. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 3

Probably not.

To claim a deduction the expenses needs to have a "nexus" or connection to your income - and volunteers are unpaid.

I'm unsure of the rules around gifts to charitable organisations (i.e. if the possum is in the care of a charity, can the food be a gift?), but this would be the only way it was claimable, and my guess is that is a long shot.

4 REPLIES 4

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 3

Probably not.

To claim a deduction the expenses needs to have a "nexus" or connection to your income - and volunteers are unpaid.

I'm unsure of the rules around gifts to charitable organisations (i.e. if the possum is in the care of a charity, can the food be a gift?), but this would be the only way it was claimable, and my guess is that is a long shot.

Enthusiast

Replies 2

I forgot to mention she is also a sole trader and works for Mad Paws - and does animal sitting on the side from which she derives income.She is trying to educate herself in all aspects of animal welfare in the hopes to eventually become a vetinary nurse. So, in my mind I feel that anything to do with education around animals might be allowed as a tax deduction in this case? Note - the amount is nominal but she is short on funds so any extra dollar would help. Thank you

Devotee

Replies 1

Not sure what Mad Paws is, but I doubt it will alter anything. Education in relation to a future profession is not deductible either.

Enthusiast

Replies 0

Thank you for clarifying re education for future profession. MadPaws is a dog sitting agency that hires sole traders.