Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

When contributing to a spouse's superannuation, how is the tax offset shown on the tax notice?

Initiate

Views 188

Replies 3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @EuniceM

Most off your offsets will be included on the notice of assessment as non-refundable tax offsets and refundable tax offsets.

The tax offset for super contributions on behalf of your spouse is a non-refundable offset, so will be included under that total label.

You can read about super related tax offsets on our website.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @EuniceM

Most off your offsets will be included on the notice of assessment as non-refundable tax offsets and refundable tax offsets.

The tax offset for super contributions on behalf of your spouse is a non-refundable offset, so will be included under that total label.

You can read about super related tax offsets on our website.

Initiate

Replies 1

Thank you. Now I know where to look, however, I still can't see it itemised.

Under Non-refundable Offset only one item is listed:

Low & Middle Income Tax Offset.

Do I then assume any and all offsets in this category (Non-refundable) are lumped under the one heading of 'Low & Middle Income'? or was the claim unsuccessful or possibly, not completed correctly?

Thanks.

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @EuniceM,

If you're eligible to claim the offset the website advises - myTax will work out the tax offset amount for you using information you provide. This will be shown in myTax as Offset amount. If you want to know how we work out the tax offset amount, you can use the worksheets on our webpage. You need to have completed the spouse section also. If the offset is is not showing on your NOA, you can call us to see if it was applied. If it wasn't and your eligible, you may need to amend your return. 

Please use the links below for further assistance.

Links-

myTax 2020 Super tax offset.

Contact us.

Amendments.

All the best.