Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Write-off goodwill

Initiate

Views 232

Replies 3

Hi, 

The company has stopped one of its business line so the goodwill of this business line must be totally written off in the book. I understand that goodwill is not tax deductible in Australia.  How can I report it in the company tax return form?  Please help urgently.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @andykfluk 

You are correct goodwill is not a depreciable asset, nor can it be written off as a deduction. Generally the sale of business assets (excluding stock) but including goodwill may trigger a capital gains tax event. More information on Goodwill and Capital Gains can be found in TR 1999/16. There are also various Capital Gains Tax (CGT) concessions available to small business owners. Correctly applying these concessions may reduce your CGT liability when selling a business.

As we don’t have all of the facts of type of business, why and how it is being closed down etc we recommend you seek advice from a professional advisors who are aware of the specific circumstances or contact our Early Engagement area for tailored advice.

3 REPLIES 3

Community Moderator

Replies 1

Hi @andykfluk 

We will look into some information for you and let you know how you should report.

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks.  At the moment, I please it as all other expenses first.  After then, I report it as non-deductible expenses "Impariment loss of goodwill".  I am not sure whether it is a correct way,.

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @andykfluk 

You are correct goodwill is not a depreciable asset, nor can it be written off as a deduction. Generally the sale of business assets (excluding stock) but including goodwill may trigger a capital gains tax event. More information on Goodwill and Capital Gains can be found in TR 1999/16. There are also various Capital Gains Tax (CGT) concessions available to small business owners. Correctly applying these concessions may reduce your CGT liability when selling a business.

As we don’t have all of the facts of type of business, why and how it is being closed down etc we recommend you seek advice from a professional advisors who are aware of the specific circumstances or contact our Early Engagement area for tailored advice.