Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

amendment and debt raised

Views 231

Replies 3

I submitted a 2nd amendment on 2 years tax return. I had no contact from ATO in regards to the amendments. Then I recieve a $12000 debt, and only found out when I logged into my gov for another reason. I phoned ATO wondering why my amendments were not progressing, and even then, nothing was mentioned to me about this rediculous debt. The ATO have wiped out all of my deductions from these 2 years,, even though I have receipts and records. I had no contact about the debt, which I beleive is incorrect given ALL my deductions for both years have disappeared, and now have a penalty attached to the wrongly calculated debt. I los tmy job from covid and I used all savings I had, pawned everything I could just to survive, and have only just resumed working after 12 months. I cannot afford this debt. What can I do about this? Also, on one of my returns there is 10 interest amounts for an accounts that are not mine. I investigated this and found they are from U bank in the same name as mine, but the person resides in another state, apparently. I couldnt find out any more due to privacy.. The bank accounts are not mine. I advised ATO but nothing has happenend? This could be identity fraud???? BUt noone has responded to me. Thirdly, I applied for the first home owners super release ( cant remember the proper name ) It was approved as my super fund released  nearly $7k to the ATO and I have never received this. My super fund dont have it, nor do the ATO apparently, so where is my super money and who do I hold accountable for the loss of this money, and who should be putting this amount in my account. If it wasnt authorized , the supr fund would not haave released it. It was released and has disappeared.....HELP ME IM DROWNING

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 2

Hi @joala 

We’re sorry to hear of your experience and understand this has caused you a lot of stress. We’ve got a few options available to help you sort this out.

It seems the amendments have changed the outcome of your tax returns.  Rest assured - this can be fixed by a further amendment for each year’s return.

I’d suggest that you contact our Customer service team who can walk you through what is on your return and what the amendment changed. You can discuss with them what you need to do to correct your return. For example, you have advised your deductions are not currently showing on your return, these can be included in your amendment to be added back in.

It sounds like your tax file number has been incorrectly attached to someone else’s bank account. Our Client Identity support centre can help you with this.  

The release of your first home super save scheme funds may have been credited to the debt that has been raised. When you speak to our customer service team, they will be able to look into this for you by reviewing your income tax account.

Please come back to us if you have any further questions  that we can help you with.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 2

Hi @joala 

We’re sorry to hear of your experience and understand this has caused you a lot of stress. We’ve got a few options available to help you sort this out.

It seems the amendments have changed the outcome of your tax returns.  Rest assured - this can be fixed by a further amendment for each year’s return.

I’d suggest that you contact our Customer service team who can walk you through what is on your return and what the amendment changed. You can discuss with them what you need to do to correct your return. For example, you have advised your deductions are not currently showing on your return, these can be included in your amendment to be added back in.

It sounds like your tax file number has been incorrectly attached to someone else’s bank account. Our Client Identity support centre can help you with this.  

The release of your first home super save scheme funds may have been credited to the debt that has been raised. When you speak to our customer service team, they will be able to look into this for you by reviewing your income tax account.

Please come back to us if you have any further questions  that we can help you with.

Replies 1

I had the first home supe money released from my super on 31/10 before the amendment was made.

I havecotcted the support team previously re wrong accounts on my file

And, why would who ever did my tax take out all my deductions. Now I have to go back and spend a lot of time doing it all again. Kind of seems unfair that I wasnt told about it?

Please advise further

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @joala 

I can definitely appreciate how frustrating this whole situation is. It's unclear how your deductions disappeared as amendments are processed by an automated system. I would suggest asking the support team about a new TFN which may resolve part of the problem.