Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

non-resident tax declaration

Views 310

Replies 1

I am a non-resident worker. I live and pay taxes in Italy. During the last financial year I worked for an Australian institution with a casual contract without ever coming to Australia. Australian taxes were already deducted from my payslip. I already paid extra taxes in Italy on my Australian income based on the tax difference reported in my payslip, as required by law. Am I required to lodge a tax declaration in Australia? As I said, I’m not Australian and I never been in Australia in the last fiscal year.

If ATO will ask me extra taxes then I will incur in double taxation just because ATO failed to collect taxes at the time of payslip.

Furhtermore, during covid pandemic I lost my job in Australia, and I already started the process of closing my australian bank account. Therefore I can't indicate my BSB and Account number, without that is impossible to proceed.

Please instruct me how to proceed and how to avoid double taxation.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @SimR,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties you have experienced during COVID19. If you are a non resident for tax purposes you still need to declare your Australian income and tax withheld. You may advise foreign tax paid as a Foreign Income tax offset (FITO). You may be able to lodge via myGov ATO link. If you cannot lodge electronically you can still use a paper return. We can also refund via cheque. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jodie2.   

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @SimR,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties you have experienced during COVID19. If you are a non resident for tax purposes you still need to declare your Australian income and tax withheld. You may advise foreign tax paid as a Foreign Income tax offset (FITO). You may be able to lodge via myGov ATO link. If you cannot lodge electronically you can still use a paper return. We can also refund via cheque. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jodie2.