Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: question about the private health insurer's ID of OSHC

Views 25831

Replies 3

Hi, I am an international student using the private health insurance Allianz Global Assistance Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), and I have tried to find the private health insurer's ID of that,  but I could not find it from the list of private health insurer's ID  used by ATO. Thus I am just wondering about what insurer ID should I use to fill in the private health insurance policies section of my tax lodgement? Any help will be very much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 1

You do not fill in as it was not a Complying health insurance policy from Australian-registered health insurer but a Complying health insurance policy from Australian-registered health insurer:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Medicare-levy/Completing-Medicare-and-private-health-insurance-on...

Basically it gives you cover against excessive medical charges but does not prevent Medicare levy surcharge if you exceeded the income threshold AND was liable for Medicare Levy.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 1

You do not fill in as it was not a Complying health insurance policy from Australian-registered health insurer but a Complying health insurance policy from Australian-registered health insurer:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Medicare-levy/Completing-Medicare-and-private-health-insurance-on...

Basically it gives you cover against excessive medical charges but does not prevent Medicare levy surcharge if you exceeded the income threshold AND was liable for Medicare Levy.

Replies 0

Thank you so much for replying!

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @augestcornfield 

I know that @macfanboy has had this sorted for a long while now, but for anyone who might want a little extra help they can check out our article on how to the complete Medicare questions on your tax return which has been recently updated.