• 118 Online
  • 14339 Members
  • 17340 Posts

ATO Community

what is reasonable basis for laundry expense under $150?

Ask a question

This conversation has been closed. Please start a new thread.

Views 216

Replies 1

Hi I checked the info from ATO website, here is the quote:

If you don't need to provide written evidence for your laundry expenses, you may use a reasonable basis to work out your claim. For washing, drying and ironing you do yourself, we consider that a reasonable basis for working out your laundry claim is:

• $1 per load - this includes washing, drying and ironing - if the load is made up only of work-related clothing, and
  • 50 cents per load if other laundry items are included.

Just wonder, for "reasonable basis", does it mean I need a written diary to calculate the expense? Or I can just do a simple math without any diary and written evidence? If ATO ask me about the expense, do I need to provide the diary evidences to them, as the reasonable basis, or I can just tell you how I calculate it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @enduregotax,

Welcome to our Community!

If you're laundry expense claim is less than $150 you don't need written evidence. You only need to provide written evidence, such as diary entries and receipts for your laundry expenses if the amount you're claiming is greater than $150, and your total work-related expenses claim exceeds $300.

If you use a different 'reasonable basis' (as outlined on our website) to work out your laundry claim, we may ask you to explain how you worked your claim out.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @enduregotax,

Welcome to our Community!

If you're laundry expense claim is less than $150 you don't need written evidence. You only need to provide written evidence, such as diary entries and receipts for your laundry expenses if the amount you're claiming is greater than $150, and your total work-related expenses claim exceeds $300.

If you use a different 'reasonable basis' (as outlined on our website) to work out your laundry claim, we may ask you to explain how you worked your claim out.

Thanks, JodieH.

Top Solution Authors