Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Do I need ABN?

Views 135

Replies 2

Hi,

Can someone give me an advice whether I required ABN or not. 

Last year I was helping my friend casually and got paid around 2k in total. Her accountant said I need to apply for ABN for tax purposes.  Since she has her own workers now, my service is no longer needed (I  also work full time at my current job which is my main source of income) Do I still need to apply for ABN still? 

Thank you for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @cmall,

There are several different requirements to qualify for an ABN. One of the questions when checking your eligibility for an ABN is, are you carrying on business or doing things consistent with running a business.

If your answer to this question is no, then you would not be entitled to an ABN. You can check your eligibility at ABN entitlement.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @cmall,

There are several different requirements to qualify for an ABN. One of the questions when checking your eligibility for an ABN is, are you carrying on business or doing things consistent with running a business.

If your answer to this question is no, then you would not be entitled to an ABN. You can check your eligibility at ABN entitlement.

Replies 0

Oh okay, thank you for your advice