Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Do I need to declare money earned from selling puppies?

Views 2493

Replies 1

Hi there,

Our family dog had a litter puppies, which we sold privately. I am not a registered breeder not do I operate as a business.

In regards to money earned, at what point would this need to be declared as income? From my limited understanding, is this classified as a hobby?

Furthermore, at what point would this change from being a 'hobby'? For example, if my dog had a litter of puppies again in 2 years time would that be ok?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Hawka,

We have a tool available which will help you determine if your activity is considered a Business or Hobby. I would recommend that you go through the tool as it is based on self assessment.

Regarding your question about whether or not it would change from a hobby to a business if your family dog has another litter in 2 years time, the answer would be determined through the online tool linked bellow.

If the result is that selling the puppies is classed as a hobby then you will not need to report the income to the ATO.

Links

Hobby or Business

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Hawka,

We have a tool available which will help you determine if your activity is considered a Business or Hobby. I would recommend that you go through the tool as it is based on self assessment.

Regarding your question about whether or not it would change from a hobby to a business if your family dog has another litter in 2 years time, the answer would be determined through the online tool linked bellow.

If the result is that selling the puppies is classed as a hobby then you will not need to report the income to the ATO.

Links

Hobby or Business