Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

My old employers are still listed on my employment

Views 578

Replies 3

I have recently started a new job, and my employment details say i still work and am claiming the tax free threshold from my old employment. How do I remove my old employers from my account? It won't allow me to update the details.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @hayleyashaj

You're still able to claim the tax-free threshold from your new employer and there shouldn't be any issues. Although you're listed as claiming it from that old employer, as you're not being paid by them it won't matter. You can technically claim the tax-free threshold from multiple employers if you wanted to, however we recommend against this due to not enough tax being withheld. As long as you're only being paid by one employer at a time that you're claiming the tax-free threshold from, you should have the right amount of tax withheld. 

Hope that clarified that for you. 

3 REPLIES 3

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @hayleyashaj,

Previous employers listed under the employment section of myGov have no impact when you lodge your tax return. You won't be able to update this yourself. Instead, if you would like to have this removed you'll need to contact the employer and have them remove you from their payroll system entirely. You being in their system does not mean they're listing you as being paid by them. Like I said, you can leave this and it shouldn't have any impact on your tax return. Make sure to check your prefill information when you go to lodge to ensure your income details are correct. 

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions. 

Replies 1

Hi Ethan,

What if they are still listed on my current employment. The issue is I would like to claim the tax free threshold at my new job, but my ATO says I am claiming this with these jobs I worked previously, that still appear in my current employment.

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @hayleyashaj

You're still able to claim the tax-free threshold from your new employer and there shouldn't be any issues. Although you're listed as claiming it from that old employer, as you're not being paid by them it won't matter. You can technically claim the tax-free threshold from multiple employers if you wanted to, however we recommend against this due to not enough tax being withheld. As long as you're only being paid by one employer at a time that you're claiming the tax-free threshold from, you should have the right amount of tax withheld. 

Hope that clarified that for you.