Announcements
Curious about the JobMaker Hiring Credit? Have a read about who is eligible and how to register.

ATO Community

Selling artworks based on hours

Views 594

Replies 4

Hello

In my spare time, I like to illustrate and paint. I have a Facebook page and an Instagram account showing my works and about once or twice a year I have someone interested in purchasing my works. I'm creating a large piece at the moment and someone is interested in buying it once it's finished. When people buy my works, I charge them by the hours that it took to complete the works ($20/hr). The estimated finishing time for the piece is about 150 hours ($3,000). Is that an excessive amount for it to be considered a hobby? Is there something that I can give to the buyer to prove I'm not doing it as a business?

I have read the "Hobby or Business" articles but I'm not clear where I stand. I have also done the 'calculator' and all of my answers are judged as hobby except for "I offer my creatives things under a name other than my own that is not formally registered" which came as an indication of either.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @akaLonelyChild 

You can find some information on hobbies here on the business website.  You will find a business or hobby tool that might also be of assistance.

I hope this information helps.

MichelleR

4 REPLIES 4

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @akaLonelyChild 

You can find some information on hobbies here on the business website.  You will find a business or hobby tool that might also be of assistance.

I hope this information helps.

MichelleR

Replies 0

Replies 1

@MichelleR I stated in the question that I’ve read the articles and used the tool and it was no help.
Hence why I am asking the question.

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @akaLonelyChild,

Thank you for your reply. If you are still unsure whether the work you are doing is regarded as a business or a hobby you can write in to our early engagement team. This is an electronic form, you can provide your specific details and email it to the relevant area. That department can look further into your circumstances and legislation to provide you with a personal written response.

This forum provides general information and links to our website etc. If the forum information does not suffice please follow up as advised.

Regards,

Jodie2.