Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Re: Trying to unclaim the tax free threshold from the job which pays less

I'm new

Views 138

Replies 2

I've recently begun a new job, but seeing as it pays more I want to claim the tax free threshold on it instead of my previous job.

My problem with this is that I knew I'd be starting new work, and thus on the last tax declaration form I gave to my lower paying employer, i requested not to claim the tax free threshold. They changed it with pen after I handed it in to them, so now I need to do another form called a withholding declaration. 

I'm just worried about the crossover period between jobs/tax, and what do I do if they won't accept the form or worse - decide not to employ me anymore because I've got new work?

I've been stuffed around a few times, and I'm also worried they might not lodge it at all, which might mean that I'm stuck with a tax-debt at the end of the year (I'm not sure how much I'll earn as hours aren't set in stone yet, but think it may go over the nil threshold).

What should I do to make sure they can't change it and definitely lodge it properly? (Intending to keep a pdf and print a copy to hand to them, is there anything else I can do to help the process out?)

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @FrogMouth_8654

Your employer must withhold based on the information you provide, so they can't refuse to accept the withholding declaration.

It shouldn't be an issue for them to adjust the withholding amount, and you can check the tax tables on our website to make sure they are withholding correctly.

If you have any issues with your employer, I would recommend talking to them first, but you can also make a tip-off if you believe they are doing the wrong thing.

Hope this helps.

2 REPLIES 2

I'm new

Replies 1

Hi FrogMouth

It sounds like your employer might have recently lodged the form with the ATO so you could see if you can complete the Withholding declaration form online through ATO online via myGov. The form is part of the New Employment forms under the Employment menu. Only forms supplied to the ATO since September 2017 are shown.

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @FrogMouth_8654

Your employer must withhold based on the information you provide, so they can't refuse to accept the withholding declaration.

It shouldn't be an issue for them to adjust the withholding amount, and you can check the tax tables on our website to make sure they are withholding correctly.

If you have any issues with your employer, I would recommend talking to them first, but you can also make a tip-off if you believe they are doing the wrong thing.

Hope this helps.