Announcements
Looking for answers? Search our popular topics or ask a new question.

ATO Community

Re: **bleep** work: Paying taxes as a financial dominatrix

Highlighted

Views 3634

Replies 2

I joined the world of financial domination (findom) sometime September 2019. This is not my full-time job or anything but rather something I do on the side as a hobby you could say because I like creating content. For those of you that are not familiar with findom, I receive monetary gifts or "tributes" from submissive men all over the world in exchange for nothing. I understand that this sounds too good to be true for those of you who are not familiar with the fetish/kink world, but it's true.

I haven't kept track of how much I've made since I started because I don't rely on this as my income source whatsoever, but if I were to give you a number, I would say I've made around 5k. I use Twitter as my main platform but I have branched out to clip sites such as OnlyFans and IWantClips recently to make more content.

I understand that content creators in USA have to fill out a w9 form if they've made more than 600 USD on OnlyFans in a tax year, but the Australian tax law is unclear on this subject matter so I am unsure as to what I should declare and how I should go about it. Would I have to file for an ABN to declare everything I make from Twitter and clip sites or is there a certain threshold? Any useful insight into the legality behind financial domination/fetish work would be hugely appreciated!

I should also mention that I am not Australian and I am on a Student Visa (Subclass 500) which allows me to "work up to 40 hours every 2-week period once [my] course starts." How does online "work" as this fit into this definition?

Looking forward to hearing your responses! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 1

It sounds like you are running a business of "content creation". This generally forms part of taxable income.

If you are only making $5k per year - I wouldn't sweat it - given the $18,200 tax free threshold.

If you are going over the threshold (perhaps due to other jobs, income etc), then income you earn is taxable but the cost of doing business (think: photography/videography equipment, internet, fetish equipment etc) may be deductible - either outright or apportioned over their effective life.

The alternative is to argue that this is just a side hobby - to which is not taxed. This is less likely due to your approach and based on the fact you are expanding your... services. To distinguish the two, see here.

In either case, this is not regarded as "work" in the context of the 40 hours per fortnight restriction on student visas. You are free to pursue your business / private interests without restrictions in this regard.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 1

It sounds like you are running a business of "content creation". This generally forms part of taxable income.

If you are only making $5k per year - I wouldn't sweat it - given the $18,200 tax free threshold.

If you are going over the threshold (perhaps due to other jobs, income etc), then income you earn is taxable but the cost of doing business (think: photography/videography equipment, internet, fetish equipment etc) may be deductible - either outright or apportioned over their effective life.

The alternative is to argue that this is just a side hobby - to which is not taxed. This is less likely due to your approach and based on the fact you are expanding your... services. To distinguish the two, see here.

In either case, this is not regarded as "work" in the context of the 40 hours per fortnight restriction on student visas. You are free to pursue your business / private interests without restrictions in this regard.

Highlighted

Replies 0

That is extremely helpful! Thank you so much.