Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Do you declare income protection payment when doing tax return, tax has been taken out monthly.

Initiate

Views 507

Replies 2

Hi i receive income protection payments monthly from insurance, tax is removed before my payment goes into bank account. Do i have to declare this when lodging 19/20 tax return. I might have paid to much or less? Thanks Casper
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 1

Hi @Casper

Great question.  As tax has already been deducted the monthly income protection payments would appear on your tax return under employment income and not as other income.

Not knowing your circumstances but if you have made a personal injury claim and received compensation this can be tax free under certain conditions. - you would need to see how it applies to your particular circumstances.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 1

Hi @Casper

Great question.  As tax has already been deducted the monthly income protection payments would appear on your tax return under employment income and not as other income.

Not knowing your circumstances but if you have made a personal injury claim and received compensation this can be tax free under certain conditions. - you would need to see how it applies to your particular circumstances.

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks
So the insurance should send the details to mygov.
Thanks Casper