ATO Community

Overseas donation / sponsorship

Ask a question
Highlighted

Nlm

Views 459

Replies 3

I am looking to make a large donation (around 30k Mark) to a charity (Special Olympics) overseas and was wondering if it could be declared as a tax deduction.

I know they have branches here that are covered under our registered charities but the only that will receive the money is in Canada (SO Canada). So I wasn’t sure which would be the best way to record it in my tax records when the payment /donation is made. Would it be more beneficial for me (tax wise) to do it as a sponsorship or can I somehow claim it under the charity rule here? Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Nlm

Thanks for your question.

As @JakeE explained the charity would have to be a deductible gift recipient.

Check out or page on grants and sponsorship. If this does not fit your situation I would suggest that you contact our early engagement area to provide more tailored information.

Thanks
KylieS

3 REPLIES 3

Devotee

Replies 2

as per https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/Deductions-you-can-claim/Other-deductions/G...

Organisations entitled to receive tax deductible gifts are called 'deductible gift recipients' (DGRs). You can only claim a tax deduction for gifts or donations to organisations that have a DGR status.

Nlm

Replies 0

Thanks for the link. That is where I am having a bit of confusion.

Special Olympics are an approved charity worldwide and thus in their own country, but since they are the Canadian branch and not the Australian one they don’t come under our system (only SO Australia or the State branches here have the Australian tick). Hence why I wasn’t sure if it would be better to put it as a donation or under sponsorship.

Best answer

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Nlm

Thanks for your question.

As @JakeE explained the charity would have to be a deductible gift recipient.

Check out or page on grants and sponsorship. If this does not fit your situation I would suggest that you contact our early engagement area to provide more tailored information.

Thanks
KylieS

Top Solution Authors