Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: 0 Tax withheld in MyTax

Views 4049

Replies 3

Hi there

I am filing my tax returns myself as a sole trader. The company I worked with paid me without withlding any tax and therefore I should input 0 in tax withheld field. However, the system does not allow me to proceed as long as there is 0 in Tax Withheld field. What am I doing wrong?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @serza,

Welcome to our Community!

If you're a sole trader and worked under an ABN, you report your sole trader income and expenses in the business section of myTax. You only report income and tax withheld from salary and wages if you were an employee.

You can find more information in the myTax 2018 instruction guide on our website, or if you have further questions you can use the 'Live chat' function to the right of the screen to share your screen and connect with an ATO officer.

Thanks, JodieH

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @serza,

Welcome to our Community!

If you're a sole trader and worked under an ABN, you report your sole trader income and expenses in the business section of myTax. You only report income and tax withheld from salary and wages if you were an employee.

You can find more information in the myTax 2018 instruction guide on our website, or if you have further questions you can use the 'Live chat' function to the right of the screen to share your screen and connect with an ATO officer.

Thanks, JodieH

Replies 1

Hi JodieH 

thanks for the reply.

Sorry, but I still need to input tax withheld in Business Section.

Here is the screen grab: http://prntscr.com/l8j7o3

If I input any number it will be misleading and I cannot finish my tax returns with 0 in this field.

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @serza

Thanks for getting in touch!

You may be entering income in the incorrect section. If you received a payment summary - business and personal services income from a payer, you enter this information in the Business payment summaries (the section you've screenshot) of myTax.

If you were a sole trader, you need to report your income and expenses under Business income or losses and complete the three relevant sections; net primary production, net not-primary production and other business and professional items. You can find information in the myTax 2018 instructions, including a video on how to complete the business section.

If you have further questions, you can use the 'Live chat' function or phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am- 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.