Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: ABN

Views 90

Replies 1

Hello. I am an artist who has been contracted by the Council as a childrens art workshop facilitator across 20 schools totalling just under $5000. This is a one off arrangement (I work full time in a hearing clinic = my day job). I assume I need to register for an ABN for tax purposes. Is this correct?

Many thanks

Lisa

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Ladykat,

There is information available under Are you in Business? to help you determine if you are required to have an ABN for business or if your activity is classed as a hobby.

Alternatively when going through an application for an ABN on the ABR website, you will initially be asked a series of questions which will determine if you are running a business and entitled to an ABN.

links

Are you in Business?

ABR - applying for an ABN

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Ladykat,

There is information available under Are you in Business? to help you determine if you are required to have an ABN for business or if your activity is classed as a hobby.

Alternatively when going through an application for an ABN on the ABR website, you will initially be asked a series of questions which will determine if you are running a business and entitled to an ABN.

links

Are you in Business?

ABR - applying for an ABN