Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Begining

Highlighted

Views 462

Replies 1

Hi Everyone,
I recently became an Australian PR so I'm trying to get this right but I have no knowledge. I'm currently employed 1/4 time and I'm doing some additional work for a school and a church. The school asked me to invoice them with my ABN so I applied for ABN. However, a few months back, I invoiced the church without ABN (I didn't know I need one back then). How do I go about 3 invoices I got without my ABN stated (the church accepted them without saying anything)?
Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Chrisjc,

Welcome to ATO Community and thanks for your question! We can provide you with general information on our Community.

You generally need to quote an ABN on your invoices or other documents relating to sales you make to other business. If a supplier (you) does not provide its ABN, the payer may need to without an amount from the payment for that supply = this is referred to as ‘no ABN withholding’ the payer may have to withhold tax from their payment to you at the rate of 47% (from 1 July 2017) under the PAYG withholding system.   If tax was withheld from your payment, they must complete a payment summary and give it to you at the same time they pay you the net amount.

I hope this helps @JodieM

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Chrisjc,

Welcome to ATO Community and thanks for your question! We can provide you with general information on our Community.

You generally need to quote an ABN on your invoices or other documents relating to sales you make to other business. If a supplier (you) does not provide its ABN, the payer may need to without an amount from the payment for that supply = this is referred to as ‘no ABN withholding’ the payer may have to withhold tax from their payment to you at the rate of 47% (from 1 July 2017) under the PAYG withholding system.   If tax was withheld from your payment, they must complete a payment summary and give it to you at the same time they pay you the net amount.

I hope this helps @JodieM