ATO Community

Re: Child support income assessment

Views 71

Replies 3

After an income assessment and investigation by the Child Support Registrar, my ex partner has had her income assessed at $90,000 per annum.   

she was previously declaring $26,000 per annum to the ATO as a sole trader. How will the Child Support decision affect her tax assessment?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hello @Ab146

It depends on whether they made a mistake or intentionally did the wrong thing. Either way, it can potentially result in penalties and interest charges.

If they made a mistake when completing their tax return, they should lodge an amendment ASAP.

If they intentionally didn't report all their income, we may initiate an audit which can result in additional penalties.

You can make a tip-off on our website if you suspect they have intentionally done the wrong thing.

I recommend having a look at the following pages on our website:

Hope this helps,

Tony

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hello @Ab146

It depends on whether they made a mistake or intentionally did the wrong thing. Either way, it can potentially result in penalties and interest charges.

If they made a mistake when completing their tax return, they should lodge an amendment ASAP.

If they intentionally didn't report all their income, we may initiate an audit which can result in additional penalties.

You can make a tip-off on our website if you suspect they have intentionally done the wrong thing.

I recommend having a look at the following pages on our website:

Hope this helps,

Tony

Replies 1

Hi Tony, 

Thanks so much for your reply. I have made a tip-off using the online link. It seems that this was intentionally done for a period of at least 3 financial years to maximise child support received, Centrelink payments of Family Tax Benefit, as well as reduce overall tax payable.

If the ATO take action based on this tip-off, how long would it generally take for an audit to be initiated and completed?

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Ab146,

If an audit were conducted, the department in charge of the case would manage and follow up the information provided. This could include contacting other agencies, employers etc. We cannot provide a definitive time frame for this.

We appreciate you lodging a tip off form and rest assure we take these matters seriously. If you have further concerns or new information that is relevant, please lodge another tip off form. You can include the reference No' issued when you submitted the original tip off form.

I hope everything is resolved for you soon. 

Link -

Making a tip-off.

All the best.