Announcements
We're doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode every now and then while we do this. Don't worry! You'll still be able to search the site to find your answers

ATO Community

Claiming Furnished Rental accomadation (non Hotel) while traveling

Views 485

Replies 2

Hi

I live in Melbourne and required to travel 1 to 2 weeks per month to Brisbane as part of my business. Rather than paying for a hotel each time I travel, am I able to claim the costs for a furnished apartment which will keep the overall costs down while travelling (also Covid safety is top of mind right now)

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @kbiles

Most people required to travel away from home temporarily to perform their work duties stay in short-term commercial accommodation. For example a hotel, motel or serviced apartment. However, a person may decide to stay in rented accommodation or in accommodation they have purchased.

The costs of financing, holding and maintaining accommodation you purchase or rent to stay in when you travel to perform your work duties may be deductible as work-related travel expenses. Costs you can claim:

• rent
  • interest on loans used to purchase the accommodation
  • rates
  • taxes
  • insurance
  • general maintenance of the accommodation
  • the decline in value of certain assets, such as furniture and household equipment.

Hope this helps!

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @kbiles

Most people required to travel away from home temporarily to perform their work duties stay in short-term commercial accommodation. For example a hotel, motel or serviced apartment. However, a person may decide to stay in rented accommodation or in accommodation they have purchased.

The costs of financing, holding and maintaining accommodation you purchase or rent to stay in when you travel to perform your work duties may be deductible as work-related travel expenses. Costs you can claim:

• rent
  • interest on loans used to purchase the accommodation
  • rates
  • taxes
  • insurance
  • general maintenance of the accommodation
  • the decline in value of certain assets, such as furniture and household equipment.

Hope this helps!

Replies 0

Hi YianaATO, Thank you for the clarification.