Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: Claims when working in childcare

Views 56

Replies 3

Hello, 

im sure the answer to my question is no but I really want clarity. I was working in a childcare centre and for our preschool program I needed supplies for a learning experience that the centre wouldn't buy for me, so  I paid with my own money. My Director would just say 'claim it on tax' rather than order any materials we wanted for the children. 
So can I claim things I buy to use in a childcare centre? These are a range of items such as pillows, dramatic play items, coloured paper, pencils even toys and blankets. I've probably spent $1000s of my own money so I can deliver a curriculum I can be happy with but when I ask where I can claim it, no one has any answers. 

thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Sjaydee,

Generally, you can claim a tax deduction for work-related expenses if:
• you have spent the money and you weren't reimbursed
• the expense is directly related to earning your income
• you have a record to prove it (usually a receipt).

Under our 'occupation and industry specific tax guide for teachers and educational professionals',  the cost of teaching aids is listed as an allowable expense (again, so long as they're directly related to the job you were undertaking at the time of purchasing the items).

So if you worked as a qualified early childhood education teacher/ education professional, and incurred these costs at your own expense, then you may be able to claim a deduction. But you need to claim the deduction in the same tax year that you paid for them.

Hopefully this helps Smiley Happy

RachATO

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Sjaydee,

Generally, you can claim a tax deduction for work-related expenses if:
• you have spent the money and you weren't reimbursed
• the expense is directly related to earning your income
• you have a record to prove it (usually a receipt).

Under our 'occupation and industry specific tax guide for teachers and educational professionals',  the cost of teaching aids is listed as an allowable expense (again, so long as they're directly related to the job you were undertaking at the time of purchasing the items).

So if you worked as a qualified early childhood education teacher/ education professional, and incurred these costs at your own expense, then you may be able to claim a deduction. But you need to claim the deduction in the same tax year that you paid for them.

Hopefully this helps Smiley Happy

RachATO

Replies 1

Thank you so much for the reply! Every year when I read through what I can claim, it has never made sense to me where I could. I'm not a registers teacher though only a cert III educator who worked as a room leader. Does this make a difference to what I can claim? 

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Sjaydee,

If you are working in a teaching industry and as @RachATO advised,  you need the equipment in the course of your job and are not reimbursed for it, you may be able to claim the expense. You can also speak to a tax agent if you have prior years expenses you could've claimed and are considering amendments. Tax agents can assist you in making sure you claim everything you're entitled to.

I hope this helps.

All the best.