Announcements
What's the right super fund for you? Although super may not be on the top of your list now, keeping track of your super can help maximise your savings for when you retire. Try out the new YourSuper comparison tool and choose a super fund that meets your needs. Still got questions about super? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Fines for late PAYG??

Views 145

Replies 3

Hi my husband does PAYG quarterly. Will he get fined if he doesn't pay it once. Or pays it late by a month? Please advise as we've had a few big unexpected bills pop up. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Jess9

If your husband in his capacity as an employer is unable to pay employee's PAYG withholding he needs to contact us and set up a payment plan to pay by instalments. We are willing to help when contacted openly and before the commitment is due.

Otherwise, if he simply doesn't pay when due, or misses a payment entirely, he is likely to be fined personally for the amount unpaid.

He will still need to lodge activity statements and tax returns on time, even if he can't pay by the due date.

I'd recommend that he reads the information on our web site about Payment plans. The easiest way to set one up is buy using our online services.

I hope that helps.

RichATO

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @Jess9

If your husband in his capacity as an employer is unable to pay employee's PAYG withholding he needs to contact us and set up a payment plan to pay by instalments. We are willing to help when contacted openly and before the commitment is due.

Otherwise, if he simply doesn't pay when due, or misses a payment entirely, he is likely to be fined personally for the amount unpaid.

He will still need to lodge activity statements and tax returns on time, even if he can't pay by the due date.

I'd recommend that he reads the information on our web site about Payment plans. The easiest way to set one up is buy using our online services.

I hope that helps.

RichATO

Replies 1

Hi @RichATO 

He doesn't have employees. He is a sole trader/subcontractor. It's just for his personal PAYG instalment. Could you please clarify if the fines still apply. Thanks so much for your help! 

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Jess9

The penalty for paying late will be interest charged on the overdue amount.

If its an Activity statement he's required to lodge, then definitely lodge by the due date to avoid a late lodgment penalty even if further time is required to make payment.

Once lodged then a payment plan can be considered for the amount due. The easiest way to do this is via our online services.

See our website about General interest charges and Help with paying for information about payment plans.

Ari