Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Forms for submitting details of share trading in annual return

Views 267

Replies 3

I have seen the detals required and advice that a spreadsheet is adequate (I use Xcel with date of purchase /sale, brokerage, sale price, etc, but what level of detail is required for the annual return and is there a form I can fill in 'as I go' to avoid a lot of extra work at the end of the financial year if I have upwards of 100 trades?  Where do I find such a form? The only webpage I could find lacked much detail of what was required precisely and unlike 'the old days' I cannot go in to ATO and ask for a hard copy...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 1

It's pretty high level form wise. You fill out the capital gains schedule.

see here

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 1

It's pretty high level form wise. You fill out the capital gains schedule.

see here

Replies 0

Mnay thanks, TaxedoMask. I think I can manage that with a sum or two in Excel.

Thanks again.

Superuser

Replies 0

Not quite as suggested in replies above.

First, determine whether you're an Investor, or whether you have a business of "shares trading".

From there, decide whether you're completing a CGT schedule, OR a Schedule of Business Income and Expenses.

There's many related and consequential issues.

How to claim any losses, how to value closing stock, whether eligible for CGT discount.

As always, best not to rely on the ATO blog pages.  Best to seek professional advice. 

You're welcome.