Announcements
COVID-19 update: Check out our answers to common questions about JobKeeper payment and early release of super.

ATO Community

Is it possible to buy some stock as an investment and not as a trader?

Highlighted

Views 93

Replies 1

I do short-term market speculations and they are considered trading as business and taxed as income. Is it possible to specifically mark some rare long-term investments as being a separate investments? So it will be considered as investment and taxed as CGT.

It seems like it's possible but the borderline is vague and there's no strict rule how to distinguiesh those two different classes.

So maybe it would be possible to somehow state it explicitly beforehead? Like let's say - maybe something like - I write to ATO a letter saying that this year I'm going to do two transactions - and buy let's say Boeing and Microsoft as investment. And if it would be approved by ATO. Then I will proceed and buy it and won't be worrying how it could be classified in the future - as "investment" or as "trading as business". Or something like that?

Thanks, Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Replies 0

Hi @apetrushin,

This would be a good scenario to get in touch with our early engagement team to discuss your plans and get advice Smiley Happy

Thanks, NateH

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Replies 0

Hi @apetrushin,

This would be a good scenario to get in touch with our early engagement team to discuss your plans and get advice Smiley Happy

Thanks, NateH