Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

We used some of my spouses income to help invest in my business, can he claim it on his returns?

Views 117

Replies 3

Because of covid, my income this year has dropped off quite a bit. 

Normally, I am able to fully support my business with just my income from the business, but this year, we've used a lot of my husbands income to invest in new materials and machinery for my business to take it in a new direction.  Can he claim it on his returns?  If not... how do I claim the overage spend on MY returns?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Essentially fill out your tax return as if you paid for the goods.

It would be worth creating a document outlining what amounts your spouse paid for (i.e. what monies were loaned to you) and keep the receipts with that.

3 REPLIES 3

Devotee

Replies 2

Essentially you have borrowed money from your spouse, and spent it in your buisness. Those amounts should be claimable on your return.

Replies 1

Thank you so much!  So I claim it on my return as a loan, and don't put anything on his return?  Or do I need to make any kind of special notation on his return stating its an investment into the business?  Techically, we both own it, but it's under my name, so its a bit hairy. I'm just trying to make sure I notate this correctly on all my returns.  

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Essentially fill out your tax return as if you paid for the goods.

It would be worth creating a document outlining what amounts your spouse paid for (i.e. what monies were loaned to you) and keep the receipts with that.