Announcements
On 7 August 2020 the government proposed further changes to the JobKeeper extension. For more information, visit the Treasury website.

ATO Community

Re: business and professional items

Highlighted

Views 1619

Replies 6

Hi everybody

I have a small sole trading business teaching dance classes. The portal is discplaying the following error code an I have no idea where the actual error is and how to fix it: 

Fix the following errors:

Does anybody have a clue? Could this relate to the electornic payments I received via Paypal and Square which I have included in the field Other business income – manually calculated?

Thanks a lot for any advise how to work this out. 

Kind regards

Tina

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 4

Hi

Under the :business sole trader partnership and trust income question then  Smiley Surprisedther business and professional items you have probably shown a figure for salary and wages.  Immediately under that there is a drop down box asking you to put in a code under 'Select the code that describes where the salary and wages have been included'             

This is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 4

Hi

Under the :business sole trader partnership and trust income question then  Smiley Surprisedther business and professional items you have probably shown a figure for salary and wages.  Immediately under that there is a drop down box asking you to put in a code under 'Select the code that describes where the salary and wages have been included'             

This is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time

Highlighted

Replies 3

Mi Mark 1

thanks for taking the time to provide advice. I checked and I have 0 in all of those items. I started using electronic payment systems (Paypal and Squre) this year and ATO knows that as they listed what I made using those systems under the heading 'Pre-filled info only data'. I did inlucde those earnings in my total income so have ignored for now but am wondering if the error message relates to those electronic payments? And if yes how do I delcare them correctly and where within the ATO portal? 

Thanks again Mark or anybody else who might take the time to help me out. 

Highlighted

Replies 0

Hi Jodie

I tried that multiple times but hehre is never a chat staff member available. That why I tried to get help in this forum. 

Thanks

Highlighted

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Twobrowneyes,

Thanks for your question!

In addition to the information provided by @Mark1 and @JodieH, I'd just like to clarify a few points.

The amounts you've earned from business transactions through Paypal and Square should not have anything to do with the "Total salary and wage expenses" field that you're having trouble with.

Have you got any figures at all in the "Other business and professional items" section, or are they all zeroes? If they are all zeroes, then you may consider just leaving that section blank if it will allow you to do so. Clicking "Delete" on the data that is there should clear the section and allow you to continue.

It appears that there may be a little bit of an oddity with that particular section where it thinks that entering any data into the "Total salary and wage expenses" field requires more information. This appears to be the case even if the figure entered into that field is a zero.

Could you please try to remove all amounts from the "Total salary and wage expenses" field, press "Save" on the section and let me know if this issue has been resolved?

Hope this helps,

Rachael B.

Highlighted

I'm new

Replies 0

This was exactly the issue. 

I had entered 0 dollars and removing the zero allowed me to progress the page.

Thanks very much Rachael!  

Hopefully they correct that annoying bug soon

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Twobrowneyes,

Welcome to our Community!

If you're receiving errors when lodging your tax return online, you can use the Live chat function to right of your screen when in section 3 and 4 of myTax. This will connect you with an officer who can assist you in real time as it will depend on what infomration has been entered in your return and where. Live chat is availabel from 8am - 8pm, Monday to Friday and 10am to 4pm, Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks, JodieH.