ATO Community

Forgot to Tick "Hecs-Help Debt" Box in 2019/20 Tax Return

I'm new

Views 121

Replies 1

Hi there, 

When I submitted my last tax return, I forgot to tick "HECS-HELP Debt" at the very start and could not go back and ammend this once submitted (my error - didn't realise until I saw my Notice of Assessment). Therefore, when I completed my return, the system automatically detected that I had a HELP debt and withheld my minimum repayment (as I am over the income threshold) and deducted it from my tax return even though my employer had withheld the minimum repayment from my income throughout the financial year. I have done the calculation and I believe I have "double paid" my hecs-help obligation for that financial year by paying through both my with-held obligation AND from my tax return but it is not reflected on my current balance. The credit from my employer shows up but not the one that was deducted as a liability from my tax return amount. I was hoping it would automatically correct in the system and apply the credit to my HELP debt but it has not done so. Is this something I have to rectify manually with the ATO or is there a time factor for balancing? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @Student2021

When you have a HELP debt, you are required to advise your employer so they can withhold extra tax to cover your compulsory repayment at the end of the year.

Once you lodge your tax return, we automatically calculate your compulsory repayment and if your employer has withheld enough tax throughout the year, it should cover the compulsory repayment shown on your notice of assessment (you may end up with a debt if insufficient tax was withheld).

We would need to look at your account to check if the compulsory repayment is correct or not, therefore I recommend contacting us via phone, or you can find more information about compulsory repayments on our website.

All the best.

TonyATO

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hello @Student2021

When you have a HELP debt, you are required to advise your employer so they can withhold extra tax to cover your compulsory repayment at the end of the year.

Once you lodge your tax return, we automatically calculate your compulsory repayment and if your employer has withheld enough tax throughout the year, it should cover the compulsory repayment shown on your notice of assessment (you may end up with a debt if insufficient tax was withheld).

We would need to look at your account to check if the compulsory repayment is correct or not, therefore I recommend contacting us via phone, or you can find more information about compulsory repayments on our website.

All the best.

TonyATO