ATO Community

HECS overpayment

Ask a question

I'm new

Views 1956

Replies 1

I've just paid off my HELP debt and am about to advise my employer via Withholding Declaration. Following that, is there any way to be refunded a HECS overpayment sooner than next tax time or is it necessary to wait till I do my 2017/2018 return? Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @DeathAndTaxes,

Welcome to our Communtiy!

As HECS repayment form part of PAYG withholding and employers report and pay these obligations to us on a monthly or quarterly basis depending on their reporting obligations - any refunds you are entitled to will be calculated at the end of the financial year when you lodge your tax return. This includes HECS overpayments.

If you have further queries regarding your HECS you can phone us on 13 28 61, between 8am - 8pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @DeathAndTaxes,

Welcome to our Communtiy!

As HECS repayment form part of PAYG withholding and employers report and pay these obligations to us on a monthly or quarterly basis depending on their reporting obligations - any refunds you are entitled to will be calculated at the end of the financial year when you lodge your tax return. This includes HECS overpayments.

If you have further queries regarding your HECS you can phone us on 13 28 61, between 8am - 8pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks.

Top Solution Authors