Announcements
COVID-19 update: Check out our answers to common questions about JobKeeper payment and early release of super.

ATO Community

Re: How to get overpaid HECS back?

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 804

Replies 1

A number of years ago I mistakenly incurred a HECS debt due to a mistake on the part of the university.

I paid this debt exactly in July 2016, but forgot about the voluntary payment bonus, which was then added as a credit to my HECS account. 

The credit amount was not added to my tax return last year and is still there. How do I go about getting back the credit amount in my tax return this year?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @mozzarella1,

Welcome to Community! If you have an outstanding credit on your account, the fastest way to chase it up is to phone us.

Phone 13 28 61 between 8:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday and select option 5, then option 4 to talk with an operator. We can verify your identity, look into the account and work out the best way to send any genuine credits to the right account.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @mozzarella1,

Welcome to Community! If you have an outstanding credit on your account, the fastest way to chase it up is to phone us.

Phone 13 28 61 between 8:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday and select option 5, then option 4 to talk with an operator. We can verify your identity, look into the account and work out the best way to send any genuine credits to the right account.

Thanks!