Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Is Professional Year Program considered for tax deduction

Views 96

Replies 2

Hello,

After completion of my master's program I started working as a "Technical Consultant" in a small compay with casual role. I have payslips from that small company but I worked only for around 5 weeks with gaps inbetween. 

Course Completion: 16th July 2020

Casual Role between: 1st week of July till mid of August

Professional Year Program (ACS - IT): 10th September

Full time Professioanl Job: November 1st week

This is my scenario and I have paid for my profressional year program around 8.5k can I claim tax benifits for it?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hello @karthikkunala

It sounds like you started the course before you were working, so you wouldn't be eligible to claim the expenses.

You can only claim self-education that specifically relates to existing employment you had when you did the course, not self-education that enables you to get employment.

You can read more about self-education expenses on our website.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hello @karthikkunala

It sounds like you started the course before you were working, so you wouldn't be eligible to claim the expenses.

You can only claim self-education that specifically relates to existing employment you had when you did the course, not self-education that enables you to get employment.

You can read more about self-education expenses on our website.

Replies 0

Thank you so much for clarifying.