Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

How do I sacrifice super into my spouse's super fund?

Started ‎23 December 2020 by
Modified ‎23 December 2020 by

Salary sacrifice into super

Salary sacrifice is an arrangement with your employer to forgo part of your salary or wages in return for your employer providing benefits of a similar value.  The sacrificed component of your total salary package is not counted as assessable income for tax purposes, however it will be taxed in your super fund at 15% (which can be less depending on your current marginal tax rate).

Check out our website for more information on how to salary sacrifice into your super.

Contributions splitting with your spouse

You can ask your super fund to transfer up to 85% of a financial year’s ‘taxed splittable contributions’ to your spouse. These are generally:

  • any contributions your employer made for you (your 'before-tax contributions'), including any salary sacrifice contributions; or
  • any personal contributions you made for yourself that you have advised your super fund you will claim as a tax deduction

Find more details on how to do this here.

It's a good idea to talk to your current superannuation fund to see if they offer contribution splitting -  they should be able to help you with the process, but both you and your spouse will need to be members of the same superannuation fund.

There are many financial considerations to think about here, and in some circumstances it might be better to claim the spouse contributions tax offset using 'after-tax' money (i.e. what you receive in your pay) or even to claim a personal super contributions deduction (if eligible) and then split these contributions.  You may benefit from contacting your fund, registered tax professional or a financial adviser depending on how complex your personal financial affairs are.