ATO Community

Re: Invalid Tax File Number.

Views 746

Replies 3

Can an ATO officer please confirm the following information I have been given:

As a stay at home parent for many years I have not had to lodge any tax returns due to earning no income.  My last lodged  tax return as an employee was in 1998 (yes, correct 1998) and apart from lodging refunds from 2008 – 2011 for the Education Tax Refund scheme when our children were in school, I have not had to lodge a return since.

In the year 2010 I tried to lodge a ETR lodgement only to find that my date of birth had been changed. After many frustrating phone calls and advice, I was able to have a face to face discussion with an ATO officer at our local Biggera Waters (Gold Coast) branch who assisted me to amend my file back too its original status.  No notification was given, or could be given, as to why this had occurred.

Now this year, 2020, due to COVID19, I have received Centrelink payments and now need to lodge a tax return in order to be refunded the tax paid portion of the payments.  Again, I can not link my ATO account to MyGov due to not enough information.  I called the ATO call centre twice in the past month and they could not  assist me to prove my identification by phone either  even though I have retained all refund notices/statements since the 1980’s and feel that I should be able to prove my  details over the phone easily.

The advice given by both ATO officers was that I would need  to apply for a new Tax File Number  as they  considered my original TFN to have been archived.  Does this sound correct?? 

I would prefer to have a face to face consultation with an ATO officer to rectify this problem preferably on the Gold Coast but I am willing to travel to Brisbane CBD if I can be assured that this could be rectified same day  and  I  am not wasting my time.

I always assumed that a TFN was held for the entirety of one’s life and although I have no problems applying for another one I feel that I would like answers as to why these problems occur.

Looking forward to your response as to what my next steps should be to rectify this matter.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 1

Hi @VickieA,

@wonka5 is correct,

I understand your frustration. The answers from your phone calls to us are correct,. You will need to go through the process of reapplying for your TFN.

Applications for TFNs are not able to be  processed in our face-to face services.  The quickest way to apply for a TFN is to complete the application online and take the application with your identification documents  to a participating Australia Post retail office.

Hope this helps.

3 REPLIES 3

Devotee

Replies 2

I can see your confusion but this might be the wrong channel to ask this sort of question. This is a community where members of well, the community jump In and chat. You are also anonymous so no one can see into your file and tell you what is wrong. I think face to face visits are a thing of the past, but good luck.
For the record, yes a TFN is yours for life. It should not change.

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 1

Hi @VickieA,

@wonka5 is correct,

I understand your frustration. The answers from your phone calls to us are correct,. You will need to go through the process of reapplying for your TFN.

Applications for TFNs are not able to be  processed in our face-to face services.  The quickest way to apply for a TFN is to complete the application online and take the application with your identification documents  to a participating Australia Post retail office.

Hope this helps.

Replies 0

Thank you both for your answers. Apologies for my late response. Having contacted the ATO office a few times since posting this request - I have been advised that there is nothing they can do to assist me and they are at a loss as to who I can contact to rectify my dilemma. The general consensus with ATO staff is that there is a high possibility that my TFN has been hacked. At this point I am just going to give up and call it a lost cause.  If ATO staff cannot assist me then there is nothing more I can do.  I cant see myself working again anytime in the future so at this stage I admit defeat! lol   Thank you both for taking the time to provide your feedback, it is much appreciated.