Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

TFN with wrong spelling

Highlighted

Views 281

Replies 5

Hi

I have a bit of a problem with my name and TFN. When I applied my TFN years ago with the name on my visa, my name was spelled differently than what it's now when I'm a citizen. I need the TFN to be changed to my current name, but I don't have any of those three approved identity documents. How can I get it changed?

Also I have two different MyGov accounts with different names (that was I was told to do) because everything else is under the name how it's spelled currently and not how it's on TFN. When I'm done with the name change to ATO can I just shut the other account down and add the details to the other one?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @Helen123,

Thanks for getting in touch.

As you stated in order to change your name we would require one of the following documents:

• Australian full birth certificate – not an extract
  • Australian marriage certificate
  • Australian change of name certificate

To change your name to correspond to that on your Australian documents you will need to complete an Australian change of name certificate. I would recommend you do this so you can provide us with one of the necessary documents required to update your name. Each State or Territory has different processes for applying for a change of name certificate so please look into the process for your particular area.

Once you have a change of name certificate, you can update your name online. However, depending on which myGov account you want to remain linked to you may want to contact us by phone to update the name. We can then assist with linking your ATO online to your other myGov account with has your other Australian government linked services. Once your ATO online account is linked to your preferred myGov account it will no longer be present on the  other myGov account.

I hope this helps,

JacquelineATO

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @Helen123,

Thanks for getting in touch.

As you stated in order to change your name we would require one of the following documents:

• Australian full birth certificate – not an extract
  • Australian marriage certificate
  • Australian change of name certificate

To change your name to correspond to that on your Australian documents you will need to complete an Australian change of name certificate. I would recommend you do this so you can provide us with one of the necessary documents required to update your name. Each State or Territory has different processes for applying for a change of name certificate so please look into the process for your particular area.

Once you have a change of name certificate, you can update your name online. However, depending on which myGov account you want to remain linked to you may want to contact us by phone to update the name. We can then assist with linking your ATO online to your other myGov account with has your other Australian government linked services. Once your ATO online account is linked to your preferred myGov account it will no longer be present on the  other myGov account.

I hope this helps,

JacquelineATO

Highlighted

Replies 2

Thank you Jacqueline for fast reply!

Just want to clear that I can apply for the change of name certificate even though all my other documents are with my current spelling? Medicare, bank accounts, drivers license etc. So ATO and my old visa are the only places I have used the other spelling.

Thanks again

Highlighted

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Helen123,

Good to hear from you again.

If you want to change the name you have on record with us, you need to provide us with the change of name certificate. The documents you listed aka medicare card, drivers license and bank accounts cannot be used to update your name, as they are not legal documents but can be used as proof of identity. You will need to have your name legally changed in Australia to reflect the name you now have on your other Australian documents. 

Hope this helps,

JacquelineATO

Highlighted

Replies 0

Thanks again

The problem is I don't have enough documents to proof my name as it's spelled in ATO to get the change of name certificate. I may have a bigger problem here.

I'll try to sort it out someway. Thanks

Highlighted

Champion

Replies 0

Hey @Helen123 

I would give them a call to work this one out. I am sure its an easy fix.