Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

Re: Which option?

Views 48

Replies 4

I start a job with an Australian company 19th April but based from NZ as a very temp period while we book flights to get to Oz.

We plan to be over around early to mid- May. However with fight change, COVID and the trans tasman bubble etc this may be sooner or later - hoping to find out more this coming week.

I used to have a TFN this is in my maiden name as I believe it has been deactiviated and i cannot deactivate from abroad as I cant remember the address related to the TFN (backpacked 17 years ago!)

I dont want to pay over the odds in tax so was looking at getting another arranged but the overseas option takes up to 28 days (working?) by which we will likely be in Oz.

Can anyone help me as I need a TFN asap but the red tape seems to be forcing me to go without until I land and activate and change surname in person with marriage license etc?!

Really starting to stress out - any help appreciated! im based in Wellington if this in any way matters ie i can go into an Australian site here?!?!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @Lbowie,

When you start employment, you have 28 days to get a TFN where your employer will withhold normal rates before applying the no-TFN withholding rate. This is to give you time to apply for a tax file number (or locate it if you already have one).

In your instance, your TFN will still exist, it will just be locked to prevent fraudulent activity. To unlock it, we recommend contacting us and passing identity checks. That's going to be hard if you can't remember details from the time it was last active - especially if your name has changed since then. In that case, you're going to have to reapply for your TFN. This updates everything on your old record to be your new details.

How you apply depends on where you are when you apply.

If you're overseas, you'll need to use the TFN application for applicants living outside of Australia. You'll need to include certified copies of identity documents, including the one that shows where your name changed. Once we receive your application, it can take up to 28 calendar (not working) days for us to process the application. That means you need to account for postage time - but you can list your postal address as your Australian one if you expect to have moved in that time. You don't need to show us your marriage certificate in person anywhere - if you have to show us, a certified copy sent in is sufficient.

If you're in Australia, you'll apply online using your passport details. We compare these details with information from Home Affairs to confirm your name change - no marriage certificate required. This also can take up to 28 calendar (not working) days.

This all boils down to: you have time. You have 28 days from the time you start with an Australian employer to find and provide your tax file number. Even if it takes a little longer to find your TFN, they'll just withhold more from your salary or wages. It will all come out in the wash when you lodge your tax return at the end of the financial year and you'll get any excess back as a credit.

You can find how to apply for a TFN on our website.

4 REPLIES 4

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @Lbowie,

When you start employment, you have 28 days to get a TFN where your employer will withhold normal rates before applying the no-TFN withholding rate. This is to give you time to apply for a tax file number (or locate it if you already have one).

In your instance, your TFN will still exist, it will just be locked to prevent fraudulent activity. To unlock it, we recommend contacting us and passing identity checks. That's going to be hard if you can't remember details from the time it was last active - especially if your name has changed since then. In that case, you're going to have to reapply for your TFN. This updates everything on your old record to be your new details.

How you apply depends on where you are when you apply.

If you're overseas, you'll need to use the TFN application for applicants living outside of Australia. You'll need to include certified copies of identity documents, including the one that shows where your name changed. Once we receive your application, it can take up to 28 calendar (not working) days for us to process the application. That means you need to account for postage time - but you can list your postal address as your Australian one if you expect to have moved in that time. You don't need to show us your marriage certificate in person anywhere - if you have to show us, a certified copy sent in is sufficient.

If you're in Australia, you'll apply online using your passport details. We compare these details with information from Home Affairs to confirm your name change - no marriage certificate required. This also can take up to 28 calendar (not working) days.

This all boils down to: you have time. You have 28 days from the time you start with an Australian employer to find and provide your tax file number. Even if it takes a little longer to find your TFN, they'll just withhold more from your salary or wages. It will all come out in the wash when you lodge your tax return at the end of the financial year and you'll get any excess back as a credit.

You can find how to apply for a TFN on our website.

Replies 0

THANK YOU for taking the time and providing such a thorough, helpful and stress free response!

thank you again! I will review the options and see what best route to take.

As an aside am I able to use an empoyers address as an Australian address?

Replies 1

Apologies also - IF my TFN is locked can my emlpoyer still use this? can this be used if locked and in my maiden name?

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Lbowie,

You can list your postal address as whatever is the most appropriate place for you to receive your mail - even if that's your employer's address.

If your employer submits a TFN declaration to us and the details don't match, we'll likely send them a letter advising of a mismatch in data. The lock on your account won't stop you from being able to complete a TFN declaration. It's mostly in place for accessing your details through Online Services and lodging income tax returns.