Announcements
Have a question about JobKeeper? Things are a little different this month so we’ve put together a summary of what businesses need to know.

ATO Community

taxfilenumber.org

Views 7759

Replies 62

My daughter has been tricked by the Ad that came up first in google when she went to apply for a TFN.

She has entered details and paid money to taxfilenumber.org to get a TFN.

I'm feeling really anoyed and stupid.

Does anyone know anything about this site? The ABN and ACN indicate it should be a registered tax agent and hopefully is still a pathway to get the TFN and we just have to suck up the loss of money.

I have blocked the credit card for the moment to be sure. Any words of wisdom? or experience with this sort of thing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 9

Hi @chrissy49,

Thanks for getting in contact to check this with us, we’re sorry to hear about your daughter's experience. We have looked into it and we can confirm this tax agent is registered with the Tax Practitioners Board and is a legitimate tax agent. If you don’t receive your Tax File Number or have concerns regarding your daughter’s personal details you can lodge a complaint with the Tax Practitioners Board and they can investigate further.

Tax file numbers are available for free through the ATO however tax professionals are also able to provide this service to their clients at a cost.  

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. Thanks @NateATO

62 REPLIES 62

Community Manager

Replies 15

Hi @chrissy49 

I’m sorry to hear this was a confusing experience for your daughter. 

I personally haven’t heard of this service before, so I will need to look into it further tomorrow. We’ll be back in touch tomorrow. 

In the meantime hopefully someone in the Community can share their experiences. 

Initiate

Replies 6

Hi has this been investigated yet and what was the outcome. My 15 yo has just bee tricked and was charged $99.

Replies 5

I got their refund email 3 days after I paid and received the refund about 10 days after

Initiate

Replies 2

Hi Manshu, did you just message them through the site? How long until they responded. We’re in the same situation.

Replies 1

Hi, I sent heaps of msg through their website and directly to their email. Took them about 5 working days to reply. Definitely dispute the transaction with your bank too.

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks Yep all good. Sent them a message through the site and spoke to my bank and it looks like the transactions been wiped. Not really sure how but it’s gone now.

Initiate

Replies 0

how did you refund your money? and did you re apply again|? thanks

I'm new

Replies 0

Hi. If you got a refund, how many times did you have to contact them before they agreed to a refund? 

I'm new

Replies 5

My daughter just paid the $99 for the tax file number.  This is a scam.  This website should not be allowed and shut down.  She is a young part time worker and now to be scammed $99 not fair.  Is there any way that this money can get retrieved.