• 73 Online
  • 13192 Members
  • 16659 Posts

Re: Payment summaries

Ask a question

This conversation has been closed. Please start a new thread.

I'm new

Views 2335

Replies 3

Hey guys,

Just finished listening to the latest ATO webcast, and there was a fair bit of chatter about the lodgement of payment summaries for micro businesses, those that are not yet required to register for STP.

What are other agents doing to lodge payment summaries on behalf of their clients? Are you filling and lodging paper payment summaries, or is there a way to enter as a pdf and then lodge via the portal?

We lodge for about 20 entities (a lot of mum-and-dad companies but other businesses with no more than 5 staff members). We have dropped our MYOB payroll solution as it was just far too expensive for once-a-year lodgement.

Thanks,

TLOWECO

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

I'm new

Replies 0

STP won't become mandatory for micros (less than 20), until 1 July 2019.

We are currently in a working group to determie exactly how micros and closely helds will approach this under STP, and whilst I can't elaborate too much at the moment, bitht he ATO and tax professional community are working on this right now and are aware of the challenges ahead.

Stay in touch

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Best answer

I'm new

Replies 0

STP won't become mandatory for micros (less than 20), until 1 July 2019.

We are currently in a working group to determie exactly how micros and closely helds will approach this under STP, and whilst I can't elaborate too much at the moment, bitht he ATO and tax professional community are working on this right now and are aware of the challenges ahead.

Stay in touch

Newbie Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 1

I just use the good old fashioned paper summaries supplied free of charge from the Ato...and I then just mail them in...they appear on pre-fill very quickly as well...

Superuser Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

@tloweco @GavinS

Single Tax Payroll will indeed be a challenge for micro businesses.

Has the STP legislation and Super Amnesty legislation been passed by Parliament?

One of the greater challenges under STP is same day reporting.

Weekly payers have over 4 times the amount of work than large employers who pay monthly.

Gavin,   There are many issues under STP that I would suggest are not logical.

There seems to be a term in STP called Natural Business Processes.

Those designing STP seem to think that business owners know how to run a payroll correctly and wish to report to the ATO without agent assistance.

Some business owners may but I would suggest than the majority do not.

Is a Natural Business Process say to prepare a monthly P&L within say 14 days of the end of the month?

A business may do a monthly IAS and quarterly BAS.

A Natural Business Process for a small business might be to prepare a quarterly P&L which aligns with the BAS and quarterly Super.

I would suggest that Same Day Reporting is not a Natural Business Process.

Lets say a business owner has 4 staff and pays by Internet banking weekly after close of business on a Wednesday.

One scenario is that the business owner emails a Tax/BAS Agent at say 6.20pm and advises of a payrun.

The Agent processes a payrun in the software and emails the client for authorisation.

This process is to occur some 13 times a quarter.

I have told my clients that I will not be working in the night time to comply with same day reporting.

The ability of business owners to correctly process payroll is doubtful and one would suggest that business owners do not want the responsibility. 

My understanding is that various senior accounting people/industry bodies have voiced their opinion that STP and in particular same day reporting is onerous for micro business.

Use of Technology and detailed payroll reporting clearly has benefits to the business owner and the ATO/Government.

A commonsense resolution may be that micro businesses should report payroll events at the time of completing a IAS/BAS.

Duncan

Top Solution Authors