• 24644 Posts

ATO Community

Re: Apportionment of interest on property loan

Ask a question

Initiate

Views 36

Replies 3

Hi All, 

The taxpayer has a main residence which is currently earning rental income . The tax payer relocated to another state, rented a house and considered about buying a new property to live in. (New main residence is not yet purchased and net income from old residence is declared in the tax return) 

There is a redraw facilities in the total of $40k (for the cumulative extra repayments that have been made) in $200,000 existing loan balance. 

My question is :

If the taxpayer redraw that $40k for the deposit to purchase the new main residence in future, is interest deductibility % of investment property's loan balance changed from 100% to 80%? Or, 100% still be deductible after the redraws of cumulative extra repayments. 

I understand that the loan needs to be apportioned if there is additional redraws related to personal purposes. However, this scenario seems different to me. 

Hope someone can help me in this regards. 

Many thanks.

Pinky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

So original loan was for $200,000 and 100% of the interest would be tax-deductible?

Now loan loan = $160,000 for investment property and $40,000 for personal?

Therefore $160,000/$200,000 (80%) of interest is tax deductable.

Paragraph (24)

https://www.ato.gov.au/law/view/view.htm?docid=TXR/TR20002/NAT/ATO/00001

3 REPLIES 3

Best answer

Devotee

Replies 0

So original loan was for $200,000 and 100% of the interest would be tax-deductible?

Now loan loan = $160,000 for investment property and $40,000 for personal?

Therefore $160,000/$200,000 (80%) of interest is tax deductable.

Paragraph (24)

https://www.ato.gov.au/law/view/view.htm?docid=TXR/TR20002/NAT/ATO/00001

Highlighted

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

Agree with macfanboy -  80% in this example.

TR 2000/2 has a formula for apportioning interest where the are a series of redraws and repayments for private purposes.

The fact that they made extra payments before the redraw will not assist. 

Tax deductibility lies with the purpose of the redraw, not the history of the loan.

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks for the answers. 😊
Top Solution Authors