Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

Re: Depreciation Cost Limit on Ute

Initiate

Views 53

Replies 2

Could I please clarify whether a ute purchased for $70,000 would be subject to the depreciation cost limit.

The vehicle in question is an HSV Maloo with a payload of 689kg.  I am wondering whether you can use the same calculations as for the FBT load carrying capacity (Number of passengers x 68Kg etc) to determine that it is a commercial vehicle or whether they are two different issues?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 1

Could I please clarify whether a ute purchased for $70,000 would be subject to the depreciation cost limit.

The vehicle in question is an HSV Maloo with a payload of 689kg. I am wondering whether you can use the same calculations as for the FBT load carrying capacity (Number of passengers x 68Kg etc) to determine that it is a commercial vehicle or whether they are two different issues?

I think that model is properly treated as a car, and would rely on the link below instead of FBT law.

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Tradies---be-certain-about-what-you-can-claim/

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 1

The vehicle in question is an HSV Maloo with a payload of 689kg. I am wondering whether you can use the same calculations as for the FBT load carrying capacity (Number of passengers x 68Kg etc) to determine that it is a commercial vehicle or whether they are two different issues?

I think that model is properly treated as a car, and would rely on the link below instead of FBT law.

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Tradies---be-certain-about-what-you-can-claim/

Initiate

Replies 0

Thank you for the response.  It is what I thought.