Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Extend length of time logged into myGovIDapp

Highlighted

Initiate Registered Tax Practitioner

Views 1838

Replies 14

(This question was not answered on the Webcast despite being the most popular question)

Can we extend the length of time we are logged into the myGovID app
Currently myself and the staff are inconvenienced by having to continually re-enter our passwords to login to the app to obtain a new pass code for the ATO Online Services.

Each one of us are accessing the Online Services numerous times during the day and this current login system you have created is time consuming & impractical – you need to extend the length of time you can stay logged into the app.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Replies 4

@Anna3 We have set FaceID / Thumbprint access on our phones so it automatically logs into the MyGovID App.

@ColinWalker  As to session timeouts is there any chance these can be extended.... right now we are resorting to 3rd party "auto refresh" / "keep alive" extenstions which raises security concerns of its own.

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted

ATO Certified Response

VIP

Replies 13

the log out time is exactly the same as for Auskeys and is associated with online services for agents.  By ticking remember me you can reduce the time consumed to log back in.  We are looking though at claims that log outs are occurring more frequently to see if there is an issue there

Colin Walker
Assistant Commissioner
Tax Professionals Digital Services
Highlighted

Replies 5

If you read through the questions submitted you'll see that it is a common problem - time out session expires to soon. Also, it is more time consuming to key in your password on the mobile phone than your keyboard. So leaving it the same as the Auskey timeout is not appropriate. You mention 'ticking remember me" - is this on the app when you are logging in because I don't see this option? Neither do many others as they are having the same issue when logging in via mygovID

Highlighted

Most helpful response

Replies 4

@Anna3 We have set FaceID / Thumbprint access on our phones so it automatically logs into the MyGovID App.

@ColinWalker  As to session timeouts is there any chance these can be extended.... right now we are resorting to 3rd party "auto refresh" / "keep alive" extenstions which raises security concerns of its own.

Highlighted

Replies 1

Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Anna3 and @sreddy,

To make the sign-in process for myGovID fast and simple you can select the ‘remember me’ option when you log in for the first time. As long as you are using the same browser you won’t need to enter your email each time you sign in. By choosing to use the ‘remember me’ option you also won’t need to type the four-digit access code into your phone, you will receive a notification, then all you need to do is click accept and you’ll be logged in.

Have a look at these pages for more information:

Hope this helps and let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks, NateH

Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 1

Hi @sreddy,

We will check this out for you.

KylieS

Highlighted

Replies 0

Thanks @KylieATO 

I just want to re-iteratw, while the session timeout value might be the same as Auskey, Auskey is a single click "sign in" or maybe a page refresh and sign in... its a 10 second process really.
The time required to log back in via MyGovID on average is about a minute or more, when you consider sign in, confirm its your email > hit next, find your phone, unlock phone, load mygovid (wait for auth ID to load) hit accept, wait for the auth to flow back and the page to load.

Highlighted

I'm new

Replies 5

The ideal length of time to logout is an hour with a popup to extend the time.

It's really frustrating to have to pick up the phone and click accept every 10 minutes.

We have a Facebook group of Tax Agents and there is a lot of disappointment around the logout time.

So, please consider the request and extend the time.

Highlighted

Community Manager

Replies 4

Hi @beeraka,

Thanks for getting in touch about this, we'll pass your feedback on to our myGovID team.

NateH