Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: Late super

Superuser

Views 34

Replies 1

Hi,

This client has two late super payments during 2021 FY. (Paid weeks after the due date).

I believe they cannot claim these payments in the tax as tax deductions for superannuation contributions are only available for actual payments made for that period and not for amounts due.  – is that correct?

Also, a SCG statement is required to be lodged for missed payments – Is that correct?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Taxicorn Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

This client has two late super payments during 2021 FY. (Paid weeks after the due date).

I believe they cannot claim these payments in the tax as tax deductions for superannuation contributions are only available for actual payments made for that period and not for amounts due.  – is that correct?

Late super can be applied to the original quarter to reduce SGC payable  -  no tax deduction.

Or it can be applied as an advance payment on a future quarter  -  tax deduction,

but SGC for original quarter still has to be paid in full  -  no tax deduction.

Also, a SCG statement is required to be lodged for missed payments – Is that correct?

Yes.  last time I did one, I used the ATO XL forms and lodged on Portal Mail.

Worked OK, but I could not print details from XL forms.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Taxicorn Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

Late super can be applied to the original quarter to reduce SGC payable  -  no tax deduction.

Or it can be applied as an advance payment on a future quarter  -  tax deduction,

but SGC for original quarter still has to be paid in full  -  no tax deduction.

Yes.  last time I did one, I used the ATO XL forms and lodged on Portal Mail.

Worked OK, but I could not print details from XL forms.