Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

Delivering food or goods using a digital platform or app?

Started ‎9 October 2018 by
Modified ‎5 September 2019 by


As a delivery driver, do I need to register for GST or apply for an ABN?

  • If you deliver food or goods for someone else as an employee, you will not have any goods and services (GST) obligations as part of your employment
  • If you’re a contractor (i.e. you run your own business as a service provider for a larger company) and your turnover is under $75,000 (and you expect to earn less than this) in a financial year, then you are not required to register for GST. You are, however, required to apply for an Australian Business Number (ABN). You can register for an ABN (for free) at this website. You may need to contact the digital platform directly about linking your ABN to your account.
  • If your turnover is $75,000 or more (or you think you’ll earn above this amount) then you’ll need to get an ABN and register to collect GST. Once you’ve registered, you must charge, collect and then report the GST you’ve collected to us via a business activity statement (BAS) – you’ll also be able to claim GST credits for business expenses.

I deliver food or goods using a digital platform or app, how does this affect my tax return?

How you report your income on your tax return depends on whether you’re an employee or whether you’re a contractor.

If you’re employed by the delivery service provider, you’ll report your income as salary and wages; if you’re a contractor, you’ll need to complete the business sections in your tax return to report your net income or loss. You can confirm your employment status by checking any contracts you’ve signed with the service provider, or check out guide on employees versus contractors over on our website.

You can usually claim income tax deductions relating to income you earn as long as:

    • You’ve spent the money and not been reimbursed
    • The costs relate to doing your job and aren’t a private expense (such as travel from home to the job)
    • You work out how much of the total expense is for your business and how much for personal use
    • You keep appropriate records to prove your claim.

If I am a contractor, how do I make sure I manage my tax?

There are a couple of options you can use to make sure you don’t get a tax bill when you lodge your return:

If you’ve reached the end of the financial year and have a tax bill to pay, we can often help you by setting up a payment plan. You can create a payment plan online using our online services in myGov, or you can phone us to discuss your situation for tailored advice and support.

I’m here in Australia on a working holiday maker visa and I deliver using a digital platform or app to earn some cash. Do I need to lodge a tax return?

There are a couple of things you’ll need to work out before you lodge your tax return:

Our guide to the sharing economy and tax is full of handy information for new food or goods delivery drivers – you can also ask our Community for help!

Labels (4)